[cod] Linux Server 1.41d sometimes crashes on loading mp_uo_stanjel

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Sun Sep 26 19:05:57 EDT 2004

At 03:18 AM 9/26/2004, you wrote:

> > I reproduced this error 3 times now...
>
>I'm looking into this.
>
>--ryan.

I think I just got bombed with mail from this list, and this single sentence
is the most significant sustenance., and near and dear to my heart.

Please, as Ryan asks, put the flame out. No one should have an ego here
except Ryan. :-)

On the CPU issues, it would so appear there will be no quick fix for this,
but the patch in to 1.1d sure was fast. Kudos Ryan to the quick work on
this!

I have found that it is common knowledge now that you can crash the linux
server via the method described.   I see them dropping like fly's.

Just my two cents for what that is worth:

I think likely, this is the most urgent issue at the immediate moment for
most concerned.  I think we all realize that there will be variations of
CPU load from map to map, etc.  I believe I saw Ryan comment that this
would require looking in to for both the WIn and Linux versions. (Correct
me if I am wrong. I do not wish to put words in anyones mouth).

The best way we can probably help Ryan is by cutting his reading
back. Post if you think it has not been said already. Me Too's are
killers of bandwidth, and at the end of his development cycle, and
the hours I see him responding day and night, nearly all 7 days
past, he is amazing and dedicated.  I would hire him in an instant.
(But I suspect he loves his job indeed!)

Dr. D

Mark J. DeFilippis, Ph. D EE          defilm at acm.org
                                       defilm at ieee.org