[cod] Problem with base Base Assault CPU load

BludGeonT[EUG] bludgeont at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 15:56:53 EDT 2004

Keep in mind that your CPU will never report 0% when you have a game
server instance running.  Regardless whether there is someone in there
or not, the persistent world is still caculating what is going on and
takes some load to keep the game running.  Keep in mind that TOP is a
useful too, but nothing to base everything upon.

How long has your server been online, thus how long have the invisible
memory leaks been running?  Do you have any defunct processes lying
around?  Are there other services that are on that should be off on
your system?

Rather than basing your usage off of an empty server, try packing your
server and then paying attention to the numbers, unless an empty
server pleases you ;)

Also, expecially running early versions of these linux binaries, there
also may be other small items such as memory leaks or things similar
that would cause your server to degrade after time, and after starting
and stopping over and over again.   At least until things are
completely stable, you might try cold booting your machine to see if
that helps.

Also, in top check your memory utilization.  If you have a gig of ram,
and it is showing htat you have 12mb free and the only thing running
onthe machine is the server, then you might need a reboot.  Linux does
cache memory, which is cool and all, but in my opinion after time, Ive
seen system response time increase after a period of time.  UT2K4
linux versions still suffer from memory leaks and in time will bog the
machine down to almost unresponsiveness.

Hope some of this information helps out, if not, sorry manG

BludGeonT[EUG]
EarthLink Ultimate Gaming