[cod] when oh when?!?

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Sun Sep 19 20:45:30 EDT 2004

Well, having finally installed it, and having to play on Winblows servers,
the irony is there are a few hundred windows servers, and most are full.
The 3 Alpha servers when I have checked, are nearly empty, except 1
so I don't know how much of a workout it is getting.

On the game....

Since when can a tank not go over a 1 foot cobblestone wall?
Since when can a shell, not take out a tree?
How come the flames don't look as realistic as they did in the trailer
when I have a X800XT video card that is bearly sweating.

The PPSH still sprays everywhere, and the weapons models
appear to be the same.  Sniper rifle targeting boxes appear
to be the same.  (Shoot a guy in the hand, he is dead).
Rifles are still no match for the smg's, lopsided.

Spearhead... an anti-aircraft gun can mow down a tree.
CODUO, not even a skin rash.

 From what I observed, as someone at ACTVI said, "When
testing the past year, most were playing with with the vehicles
in the beginning, but once that wears off, people started
to mix in infantry and strategy." I think once it wears off,
the complaints will roll in about the important stuff, like your
infantry rifle's accuracy still will still be miserable when compared
to the old antiquated, but better weapons model on Spearhead.

So... Guess I will be porting my weapons mod to COD if
my clan insists on playing UO.  I am hoping to talk them
out of it, and get them to hold off for Brothers in Arms,
or Pacific Assault.

I am soooooo disappointed, but not surprised.  I expect
the hype to last about as long as a story about Reagan's
mole removal.  Took front page, follow up moved back
until a few weeks, then it was old news....

The clan has been getting bored with COD lately.
I suspect if we went to UO, it would only put off
the inevitable.  But they keep going back to
BF1942.  Don't know what it is about that game
that makes it so addicting, and the new UO...
just poor, but it is what it is, and from the forums
I am reading on CODadmin, and more.... there is
disillusion.

I don't have any answers, or even really know what
is wrong with it.  It is just not...not...?.?   Just not.

Mark J. DeFilippis                    defilm at acm.org
                                       defilm at ieee.org