[cod] CoD: UO Linux Server Updates?

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Sat Sep 18 15:07:32 EDT 2004

At 02:11 AM 9/18/2004, you wrote:

> > IMHO,  I noticed they listed Bryan, and even the mucky, mucks
> > that have fancy titles.. You know... the ones that are EVP's,
> > but no one knows what hey do.  On the other hand, it looks like even
> > the temp secy's were listed.  Where is your name!! I looked real
> > hard.  Being a technologist, isn't is always the most talented
> > that get overlooked?
>
>*shrug*
>
>Doesn't matter to me.
>
>--ryan.

Ryan,

We all know.  I just remember the days when we used to get
some recognition, respect, and pats on the back in addition to financial
compensation. I sure miss them... :-(

Well, I find it amazing only because this sub-culture of online gaming
by Linux based admins is often critical to the success of the game.
Many companies run internal servers to support their gaming, and
they charge for it...  Whereas putting out a Linux server like this
based on the quake engine, they need not be concerned about it,
as there will be 3000-4000 servers a week after release time.

With PB, scheme, playing online, you know people have to pay
for the game.  Everyone knows cracked versions were out day 2.
Not everyone believes as I do that people should be paid for their
work in this world.. Of course many do, but TOO MANY don't.

Online play forces them to buy a copy, and promotes the
game in the Multplay area.  It is big bread and butter.

Well, us couple of thousand admins know who you are, and
our hat is off to you. Some being moders, coders, hackers
themselves, that respect is probably worth more anyway. ;-)

Thanks for the server! There goes another$160/mo for
yet another P4 3.0Ghz/800Mhz/ Redhat server....Its on
order already! ;-)  Have 3 copies of the game already...

This hobby is sure getting expensive.  I got to get a
sponsor...  I hate to tell my boys in 8 years... well
you could have gone to MIT, but you had $300/mo
in servers on those cool games you used to play. 8-)))

Mark J. DeFilippis                    defilm at acm.org
                                       defilm at ieee.org