[cod] Stable + Quirkiness, and a status update if you can :D

Andre Lorbach alorbach at ro1.adiscon.com
Thu Oct 7 03:54:17 EDT 2004

Do you run Debian?
I had simular problems in the past because my kernel was to old and
couldn't handle DMA mode for the harddisk correctly. What happened then
was, the harddisk was running in PIO Mode.

For those you don't know what this is, it's a prehistoric how DIE
harddisks worked, and it is really bad for performance. This access
causes 99% Kernel CPU usage which can then cause spikes.

You can verify by using this command:
hdparm -d /dev/hda
It should show "using_dma = 1 (on)"

If you don't have hdparm use "apt-get install hdparm" to install it.

Regards,
deltaray