[cod] cpu usage patch? :)

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Fri Oct 1 23:03:03 EDT 2004

You hit the nail on the head. I think a private email was
the proper thing to do. I am no business entrepreneur, to
the contrary I 0 of those skills. But it is obvious.

The "silence" as well is deafening.  I hope they realize just
what percentage of the servers out there
are Linux based.  This is also true because like many
folks on this list that lease virtual servers, they have created
control panels such that even the Windows folk can
use a Linux server to host their servers these days.

The simple fact is you can get more servers on a Linux
box than a Windows box. Stated as a matter of fact.
The net net is there is a real profit incentive at stake here.

The admin that rents based on slot, at these CPU rates
would either have to charge above the cost threshold
for their customers, or eat it.  They can't eat it. Do the
math.  X servers pays for the lease. X + n is the net.
Minus admin, time, etc, and the profit is in quantity.

With UO, obviously quantity is not even a possibility.
Not for being a Activision fan, but a COD fan, I really
wish to see this add on, take off.  On a 2 year old game,
it they don't get it to go, with upcoming competition,
cod will indeed die.

Dr. D

Mark J. DeFilippis, Ph. D EE          defilm at acm.org
                                       defilm at ieee.org