[cod] Debian libstdc++.so.5 missing

Daniel M. Temme cod at schlechteverlierer.de
Fri Oct 1 16:32:55 EDT 2004

Andre Lorbach wrote:
> Huh?
>
> I did it exactly that way, download the packages and installed them.
> It DOES work and I had no trouble at all! Server is running very fine.

Ok, so it works. My gripe is that libc6 has so many interdependencies
that I wouldn't want to upgrade it without upgrading the rest of the
system. That might be overconservative but I really don't think it's the
the best way to go just because one program needs one missing library.

> The packages are from the unstable branch, but as Debian is very very
> conservativ with what they call stable and unstable. For debian, MYSQL 4
> and APACHE 2 are still unstable where in many other Linux distributions
> these are default versions.

I'm well aware of that. The main issues were always dependency problems.
And yes, this rarely seems to happen nowadays. That's why I also
recommended just upgrading the whole system to testing. Nothing wrong
with that but that is also a bit too much of work if you only want to
get cod running.

> And having it installed by packages makes it easier to remove them by
> just placing the libs manually into the libs folder, my opinion.

You have lost me there.

Have a nice day
Daniel