[cod] Linux vs. Windows

Christopher Choo chrischoo at fragnetics.com
Sat Nov 20 23:22:15 EST 2004

Hi Again,

> For Windows users they are usually quoting % of total CPU i.e.
> what is shown by taskman or similar and are on either a dual CPU
> machine or a P4 with HT enabled. This can also be done by accident
> in linux using top but its less common.

Not being very technically proficient myself I find this statement very
interesting. Yes, it does seem unusual to me at a 32-player server can be taking
about 15% on a Windows machine. However, is there a more accurate way in which
we should read our CPU usage? Similarly for Linux, if top sometimes misbehaves,
what program would give more accurate results? Would inaccuracies in measuring
CPU usage using Dual-Processors or HT in Windows also show up for Linux?
When you mentioned that actual usage is about 4x as reported in task manager,
what is the reason behind this and where can I find out more?

Nothing beats free tech support on mailing lists such as these! Thanks to all of
you for a lively discussion.

Regards,
Christopher Choo
Fragnetics