[cod] cfg files

BludGeonT[EUG] bludgeont at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 16:00:48 EST 2004

This is good information, but I recommend a few changes.  Adding
+map_rotate at the end of the command line to jump start the game in
the event that you don't have a map_rotate command at the end of your
config.  If you do, and you use this (which I dont recommend),  then
it will rotate two maps.  Just make sure you have it in at least one
place, on your command line, or in your config file.

Also, rather than running it in the background with no way to get on
the console of the game itself, try running it within a screen
session.

Modifying the suggest code from someone above, you might try like:

#!/bin/sh
# COD Start

 BIN="cod-lnxded";
 HPDIR="/user/local/games/cod";
 CONFIG="bear.cfg";

cd  ${HPDIR}
screen -dmS ./${BIN} +set dedicated 2 +set sv_punkbuster 1 +set
fs_homepath ${HPDIR} +exec ${CONFIG}

What this does is create a session that you can attach to at will and
be on the console.  To see your screen sessions, you can

screen -ls

to attach, you use

screen -r <somenumber that is listed with screen -ls>

To exit the screen session, do not use CTRL-C, as that will kill the
screen session and your game instance.  Instead, use:

CTRL A D

One more thing about the mp_config file, I run many instances of games
on one machine, and to fix the problems easily with this file being
shared with all instances, I just chmod 000 the mp_config file so that
it cannot be written to.  I have no problems as a result of doing
this, and what happens is you retain the settings from within your
bear.cfg file instead.  Sloppy, yes - works yes :)

Good luck,

BludGeonT[EUG]
EarthLink Ultimate Gaming