[cod] 1.3 patch has ruined my clan

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Mon Mar 29 05:40:51 EST 2004

>   Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now. :-)   Yeah, this touched a
> nerve...  I like CoD, and I think IW has done a great job, it's just
> they need to get serious about Linux.

Fwiw, Infinity Ward and Activision _are_ really serious about Linux
servers; moreso than most developers (and publishers!) than I've seen.
1.3 for Windows was actually delayed while a Linux server bug was
tracked down, which, when you consider the amount of bile spewed in IW's
direction over the delay in releasing 1.3, this was awfully nice of
them.

The reason the machine-gun-fires-to-the-right bug isn't fixed yet is
because I've been out of town all week at Game Developer Conference. We
didn't find it in QA, so we didn't fix it. I'm tracking it down right
now, and will release an interim binary as soon as I figure out the
problem.

Activision's official line is "we don't support Linux" because they
aren't really staffed to support it. The calls they get are "uh, my
DirectX install is broken", etc. You need to have a full time staff to
deal with this, and they aren't prepared to talk about glibc versions
and CPU usage and such. Quite frankly, for admin issues, you are always
going to be better off talking to other admins. That's not to dodge the
bullet on behalf of Activision, but really, I'd rather ask and answer on
a mailing list like this than sit on hold on some support line. The
brains that make this happen (including the original developers, myself,
and an army of professional server admins) are all here. If I was
running Activision, I would train my support staff to send you here
anyhow, but maybe that's just me.

--ryan.