[cod] Patch question

Boco karinosso at comcast.net
Tue Mar 16 10:37:21 EST 2004

getClientCvar will probably never be a command because of the technical
hinderances behind it.  The problem is that the client would have to
send the server their cvar data.  So, what does the server do in the
meantime?  Do they halt all execution of scripts until the server has
the client data?  There is a delay period between the server asking for
the client cvar, and the server retrieving the client cvar.
Realistically, the only way to make it work would be to have
getClientCvar be a blocking command which halts execution of game script
until the cvar is received.

someVar = getClientCvar( "cg_drawfps" );
if ( someVar == "1" )
{

Let's use this bit of code.  Once getClientCvar is called, you don't
instantaneously get the cvar from the client.  The server would have to
ask for the cvar, and the client would have to send it back.  As there
is a delay, you couldn't process the if statement because someVar is
still undefined.  So you would have to make getClientCvar stop execution
of the thread.  Now, I don't know how the scripting language is coded,
but stopping execution of the thread to wait for the getClientCvar
command might not be possible.  They might have optimized it in such a
way that having a blocking command is impossible.

Of course, it still might be possible.  getClientCvar could be forced to
only be legal in threads.  That way you can stop execution of only the
thread.  Like a wait command.  Then they would need to make it time out
if the client isn't sending info back.  So it could work.  But IW's
refusal to add the command suggests some technical aspect preventing it,
like I pointed out above.