[cod] New Server problem/hitch warnings

Maverick me83143 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 3 15:57:13 EST 2004

Christopher Kunz wrote:

> Maverick wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>  This is somewhat off topic, but I'm hoping one of you might have
>> some suggestions.  We got a new box from one of our providers and
>> we're having problems running servers on it.  Other boxes we have
>> from them run fix.  One thing I notice that for whatever servers we
>> run (mainly CoD) we see a lot of Hitch Warnings with various
>> different times.  Seems that every time one of these comes up I get
>> teleported in game.  Ok, so the question is: what exactly are the
>> hitch warnings about?  Based on
>

> A hitch warning occurs when the time between two calculated frames is
> greater than X (I think something around 300ms), at least that's my
> guess.
>
> We've had something like that with a large amount of our boxes and ALL
> games recently - can you post details for the machine? Especially, can
> you paste the result of "cat /proc/mtrr" as root?
>
> --ck

The machine is a dual Xeon 2.4 or so with 1 GB of memory and a 100 MB
ethernet card, and 73 GB SCSI drives.  The host said they replaced the
ethernet cable as faulty, but that didn't seem to amount to a hill of
beans.  I'm not sure what all details you need, but the result of cat
/proc/mtrr is:

reg00: base=0x00000000 (   0MB), size=1024MB: write-back, count=1

I'm assuming that's correct since the box has 1 GB of memory.  This
matches the previous box that works just fine.  The frame stuff is
network, correct?  Or is it video related?  I'm venturing into new areas
here, but that's a good thing!

Thanks for the help!
  Maverick