[cod] Server Hosting

Robert Mount rmount at pobox.com
Tue Jun 8 10:59:46 EDT 2004

Hi Jake,

>I need to decide if we are going to proceed or just start using Iquana.

Competition is always good :-)

>What types of "cool" things would you all like to see in a game server
control panel?

- Web based Config file editing
- Web based Start/Stop/Restart of the server
- Web based change of startup of game (i.e. if you want to run HoB/Revolt
you need to change how your game starts up).  Either via an Admin set drop
down, or "custom" for advanced game server owners.
- Auto magically restart crashed servers.
- Ditto for server that have been "quit" (so if someone exec's a match
config, they can quit the server when done and it restarts with the default
config).
- Web based file manager (upload, delete, edit, etc).

>Would you all like to have an affiliate program where if you refer game
server sales you could pay for your >own server each month?

Being a game server provider, no.  I won't typically refer someone to
another provider ;-)

>How about Scheduling configs to change on a calendar so you can bounce your
server for practices or >matches?

Yes

>Buy one server and choose which game it is on the fly?

Yes

>Change which datacenter your server starts in so at certain times your
Europe based clans can have the server >closer but when they are in bed you
spawn the server in the US?

For some, that might be nice.  I concentrate on North America, and don't
plan on offering servers in Europe at any time soon.

>Think of some cool features you would like to see.

Platform independant!  Some games only run on Windows!

>Let me know if you all have used Iguana?

Never, just my own home-brewed system.

>Do you think a control panel priced at $2.50/game server / month is a good
price?

Sounds reasonable.

--Rob