[cod] Multiple Servers on LAN

Theo Macris theo at dsl-only.net
Tue Jan 6 13:09:44 EST 2004

This turns out to be easier than I thought it would be. I searched the
newsgroups and found this, here it is for anyone else that may need it.
I will let you know if this works later today. Thanks for the heads up
Josh!
Theo

To assign the secondary address of 192.168.5.1 with a netmask of
255.255.255.0 to eth0 do:
ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.5.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

And a third of 10.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.0.0
ifconfig eth0:2 10.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.0.0

you can assign multiple aliases to a NIC, but I suggest only assigning
a primary and one secondary, and get another NIC if you need more
addresses.

The correct way to add these as permanent (I'm assuming RH here)
cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

edit  ifcfg-eth0:1 and put in the following syntax:
DEVICE=eth0:1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.5.1