[cod] 0 GUID

Joe Brown joe at overdrivepc.com
Sun Feb 29 17:30:05 EST 2004

This probably has to do with how the guid system works.

The GUID is probably based on cdkey.  It's not a good idea to send the
cdkey to servers, because that would provide server operators a
plenthora of cdkeys.  Instead, they are sent to a server at Activision
or IW who computes an md5 hash used for guid and it sends GUID's to the
servers and/or clients.  This way guid's can't be faked.

Since there's a third server involved, my guess is that the underlying
framework is unstable and may not yet be complete or may be online at
varying times.

I'm probably not 100% correct on the implementation, but that's close to
what's going on.  Until all bugs are hashed out, and punkbuster is fully
implemented, your results will probably vary depending on what's up with
masters.

-Joe