Linux Patch ... Everyone knows about this exploit already!

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Wed Dec 22 08:03:41 EST 2004

Well, it seems by the threads I asked an obvious question.

Looks like we won't have stability before the upcoming holidays...

I figure Ryan's off after today, and there is still no fix for the crash.
I didn't know how it was done.  When I mentioned to my 13y/o son,
a avid player and die hard, and spun it up on my test server, he
knew about it, and down it came.  Seems we are not the only ones
using this list!

Happy Holidays guys. Will try back after the new year.  Maybe we will
have a UO Linux server by than.  Here say is there is no CPU change
so I see no rush. I have a test setup to quantify this, but the server needs
to stand on it's own legs first, not segv sig 11 every few mins at the whim
of some 13 y/o.

MY 1.4e servers are still loaded 24x7... I guess they see no rush either...
Looks like other than CPU, 1.4e is excellent, and 1.5.1 has broken a lot.
Reminds me of "Don't fix spearhead, lets just release "breakthrough". Fail.
Could the developers have picked up SOME of EA's bad habits?

Somehow, I think this "Fix patch, CPU, textures" turned in to a partial
rewrite of some type for the developers.  Ryan's Server is really an
interpreter
so can't be blamed for the failings of others IMHO.

As normally the case.. they will fix a few and break more... Ryan has to
struggle
to patch his interpreter to deal with their poor changes and is somewhat
stuck in the
middle, while the developers that messed themselves, relax and enjoy the
holidays...

Mark J. DeFilippis, Ph.D EE           defilm at acm.org
                                       defilm at ieee.org