[cod] Linux dedicated servers auto init

Daniel M. Temme cod at schlechteverlierer.de
Thu Apr 29 11:54:17 EDT 2004

On Thursday 29 April 2004 16:17, João Campos wrote:
> I have a script to Run Servers:
> Can u explian it better?

I can give it a try. I'll just comment on the actual commands to hopefully
make it more readable.

> exec 2>&1

This redirects stderr into stdout. Seems kinda redundant as nohup will
redirect both again (see info nohup).

At this point you could now add the lines (marked by +) to constantly loop the
gameservice. It's very important that you remove the trailing backslash and
ampersand though. Otherwise you start a new server every 5 seconds.

+ while true; do
> nohup ./cod_lnxded +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip ${IPADDRESS} \
>        +set fs_homepath ${HOME}/cod-server +set net_port ${PORT} \
>        +set com_Hunkmegs 128 +set sv_pure 1 +set sv_maxclients ${SLOTS} \
>        +exec ${CONFIG} +map_rotate // remove this backslash \
> //and remove the ampersand		&
+   sleep 5
+ done

The whole nohup stuff is the line that starts the actual server (with
cod_lnxded being the actual server program).

(On a sideniote... as I'm curious... using nohup for server programs seems a
bit pointless. Is there any daemon that actually acts on HUP?)

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for but have fun anyways.

Have a nice day
--
Daniel M. Temme
http://schlechteverlierer.de