[cod] Punkbuster

Daniel M. Temme cod at schlechteverlierer.de
Wed Apr 21 09:43:30 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 21 April 2004 13:16, Richard Harrison wrote:
> My understanding of it is
>
> When you have punkbuster running, it periodically checks to see if there is
> any updates to d/l. If it does then it d/l's them with the extension of
> .htm. The .htms are not in plain text so you cannot read them. It then
> converts them into a file with a .dll extension and uses them as reference
> files. Its sort of like DAT files for Anti Virus updates.
>
> This is the way it works for all PB enabled games, so unfortunatly if you
> dont like it there is next to no chance of getting them to change it.

As long as it's the same issue with the game client I dont really mind though.
Should the pb servers ever be compromised chances of anyone bothering with
the few likely better secured servers instead of focusing on the multitude of
gameing machines seem pretty low.

It just strikes me as a bad concept, I felt like ranting about it, so I did.
But it probably really doesn't belong here.

> Now i havent d/l 1.4 yet so i cant be sure if evenbalance  have radically
> changed things, but If you want to see how Punkbuster works within another
> game then take a look at this page which is about ET's verison of
> PB.http://www.rtcw.jolt.co.uk/index.php?page=&action=show&id=4019 The cvars
> wont be the same but it shows the how you can tweak some stuff to get
> different tollerances.

Thanks. I would probably consider the rate stuff. I'll have a look once
documentation is available.

> Also this is how evenbalance use the web tool for ET
> http://www.evenbalance.com/publications/et-ad/index.htm#webtool again may
> not be the same but could be a reference to see how they have implemented
> it for other games.

Ah, yes. Thanks a lot. That's pretty much what I was looking for. If that
applies to CoD, too, I'll just shut up now. ;)

Have a nice day
--
Daniel M. Temme
http://schlechteverlierer.de