[cod] shared base directory?

James Kreuziger jkreuzig at cyberonic.com
Sun Apr 11 05:39:32 EDT 2004

Well, I think you need to narrow down how you are setup to run from one
base directory
a bit more before you can be sure there would be any measureable
performance improvements.
I run a number of UNIX based machines (Linux and Solaris) at work.  I'll
almost always
run multiple copies of software from from one base directory.  Notice I
said almost always.
What situations will I not?

1) Software licensing - Some stuff I need to have 1 physical copy for
each user or machine.
No real performance benefit, just lawsuit avoidance benefit.  Much more
of a pain to administer.

2) Very large binary on a NFS volume with a crowded network and a large
number of users - If I
have a binary that is 300MB in size and need to have multiple machines
(hence the NFS) and
multiple users on those machines AND a crowded network, I'd rethink the
situation.  All those
things put together could spell doom for users trying to start an app in
a reasonable period of
time.  Not to mention that if the app also had to use network bandwidth
after it started running,
all the NFS traffic could affect performance. NFS doesn't scale well
(especially on Linux), and
it's performance tends to drop pretty rapidly.

I'm sure I can come up with others, but these are the only real
situations I've had to address.
How does this relate to memory usage improvements?  Well, the only way I
can think is if you
have a REAL slow underpowered (CPU), minimum memory, slow harddrive,
10MB Ethernet machine acting
as an NFS server to share the one base directory.  On top of that, have
2000 client machines trying to access said base directory at the same
time.  Then you could have memory usage problems on the machine that has
the base directory.

Now on a modern gaming server, the only way to determine if you have
measurable improvement in memory
usage in the situation you describe would be to test it out.  My guess
is that you will find no
difference between the 2 setups.

-Jim