[cod] Disapointed

Daniel M. Temme cod at schlechteverlierer.de
Wed Nov 26 05:54:02 EST 2003

Hi,

I thought I'd just chime in with a couple comments. Not sure if this is of any
help but here goes...

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 01:56, MayDay wrote:
> server_linux is Teamspeak2, donno why it spawned so many threads, maybe its
> like apache, thinking it's super important and going to get 1000 connection
> in the next few min :D

Nothing inherently bad about a multithreaded application other then it
clogging up the output of top/ps. But you really don't need root to run tss2.
If you want to keep it running I'd also recommend blocking the TCPQueryPort
in your firewall (default 51235, see tss/server.ini). You may also want to
disable the built-in HTTP server once you're done configuring it (HTTPServer
Enabled=0 in server.ini). The less things accessible from the outside, the
better.

> named:
> Think it was me messing around, i have problems resolving hostnames -> ip's
> even ping fails unless i add it to /etc/hosts. i recall that it worked fine
> in the past, maybe its the dhcp server out her thats wierd, but my windows
> machine works fine.

dhcp can set the nameserver but it might just not work correctly. You may just
want to try manually setting the nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf. If you still
have DNS issues it might also be worth checking out /etc/nsswitch.conf.

> I donno what package this is in, i could just stop it from starting up ofc,
> but would rather remove it alltogether.

Package should be either bind or bind9. Try dpkg -S /usr/sbin/named

> rpc.statd:
> have no idea what it is and im almost posetive i dident install it, is it
> default in debian maybe?

It's been a while since I last did a fresh install so I'm not sure if it's
default. I hope not. The whole rpc stuff usually comes with installing nfs or
nis/yp.

> portmapper:
> path of the rpc package i think, removign this also removed the rpc.statd
> if im not mistaken.

All the rpc stuff depends on portmap. Unless you specificly need it you're
best of with apt-get remove -purge portmap.

Oh, I'm also running on a Debian(testing) box and didn't have any issues yet.
OTOH I've only witnessed a maximum of 2 people on the server so it doesn't
really mean much. ;)

Have a nice day
--
Daniel M. Temme