[cod] Disapointed

James Kreuziger jkreuzig at cyberonic.com
Tue Nov 25 14:49:45 EST 2003

Ok,  here is what I'm running my CoD linux server on.

Computer:  PII 200MHz Dual Processor, 128MB RAM, 2.1 GB HD - I got this
system for $60 US at the Los Angeles
Computer Show at the LA County Fairgrounds.  I added a spare 18GB HD that I
had laying around.

RedHat 7.1 - I chose this distro because I had it burned to CD already.  No
other reason.

1500/768 DSL connection - My IP is static, and my speed tests on my
connection run 1300/620.  So I'm getting just about
the max I can out of my connection (minus overhead of course).

Cisco 678 DSL Modem connected to Linksys BEFSR81 router - After setting
things up properly, I seem to be getting a decent
connection.

Now, my CoD setup is at a maxrate of 8000, and 8 players.  This gives me
just enough upload speed left to not swamp my
connection.  When I'm on the CoD server alone, my ping bounces between
3-10ms.  Last night, some of my clanmates and I
played around.  There were 6 total users.  Nobody pinged higher than 60.  My
ping jumped up, and I think it was a combination
of connection and CPU.  Mind you, a quick check of top on the Linux box
revealed that the CPU's were getting HAMMERED,
as well as CoD using 108MB of memory.  Also, in between rounds, there is
always a 1-2 second "Connection Interupted" message.
On top of that, the server loads the maps quite slow.  The thing is, I'm
running this on such a slow machine, I expected to have these
sorts of problems.  The guys in my clan are happy that we can play around
with the server, and learn the maps.  Do I have the same
problems when I run a Windowz server on my P4, 2.8GHz Hyperthreading, 1GB
PC3200 Dual Channel, 120GB SATA HD machine?
Nope.  But I don't expect to have the same problems.  If I had an extra disk
for the P4, I'd try it out.  I'd suspect I would not have
any problems.