[cod] What ports do I need opened in my firewall for CoD?

Booker Apelin booker at lava.net
Mon Nov 24 13:45:15 EST 2003

Thanks, that actually did the trick!  Here's what I did and some other
little tips for anyone else that has a Fedora core 1 install with firewall
settings set for high.

The firewall settings for Fedora core 1 (RedHat 9) only block on incoming
packets (INPUT chain and also FORWARD chain) and there are no blocks on
outgoing packets (OUTPUT Chains).  See the man page iptables for further
explanation.  On the INPUT and FORWARD chain is a RH-Firewall-1-INPUT Chain
which I had to edit to open the ports.

To add an opening for port 28960 type this command (as root, or if you have
sudo prefix this command with sudo):

/sbin/iptables -I RH-Firewall-1-INPUT 1  -p udp --dport 28960 -j ACCEPT

If you run multiple servers on different ports you need to run the above
command with the other ports modifying the -dport XXXXX.

Lastly, you need to add this to the startup iptables file so that if your
server reboots or crashes, the ports will be open when the server comes back
up.  The file you need to edit is in /etc/sysconfig/iptables.  Do a `cat
/etc/sysconfig/iptables`  then do a `/sbin/iptables-save`. The output of
iptables-save shows you what currently is on the firewall.  There will be a
line for your port 28960.  You need to copy this line and add it to
/etc/sysconfig/iptables.  You also need to add it in the same order as you
see it in iptables-save.

Since the firewall doesn't block anything going out, I didn't have to open
any holes for 20500 and 20510 which others have indicated are for cd-key
authentication and browser listing (I assume this is the master server list
that people download in the multiplayer game to see what servers are
available on the net.).

Mahalo,

Mr.DaFoose