[cod] Problems with NAT (Multihomed) and COD

Boy_One (COD System Admin) cod at kaleplek.net
Sun Dec 28 21:38:55 EST 2003

All,

I didn't know that Activision new from this problem and is fixing it... That
should be nice...;-)

But the problem lies in this (and i got this after a lot of sniffing and
tcpdumping) Activision has chosen an other path to authenticate CD-Keys then
EA with there games like Mohaa. Let me try to put it on paper.

Mohaa AUTH

Client connects to Server with CD-Key. Server then goes to AUTH server EA
and asks to authenticate the CD-Key. Auth server looks in CD-Key database
and give an ack or nack (i tried this with an elegal key on my server sorry
EA). Then the Server lets the client pass and you can play.

COD AUTH

Client connects to Server with. Server then goes to AUTH server Actvision
and asks to authenticate the Client trough its IP. Auth Server then tries to
connect to client to get CD-Key to Authenticate. After getting the CD-Key
AUTH server looks in database and gives an ack or nack back to Server. Then
the Server lets the client pass and you can play.

And this is the problem because Activision has chosen an other pat for
Authentication it created a problem for Multihomed(NAT) environments. It's
not a bad mechanism but it rules out the little people like me who has not a
lot of budget and tries to host this great game for a little community
trough its 2048/1024Mbits ADSL Line. In my eyes Activision is forcing people
to hire a server and this will be the doom of the game because all great
games after a couple of years are hosted in small communities like mine and
are kept alive there (And this is mine thought i hope i don't advent anyone
with this line).

 I hope Activision is trying to fix this or i think i'm going to shutdown
this great game and play it on other servers like i do now(Maybe at
Rudedog's server LoL), and just host mohaa here.

But what i read below i hope Activision is getting awake....;-)

Regards

Quint

Boy_One