[bf1942] BF2 in Windows - pointers?

Robert Mount rmount at pobox.com
Wed Mar 22 11:14:52 EST 2006

Einar,

- Consider firedaemon, it'll make your life easier.  All my BF2
servers (running BF2CC) run from Firedaemon.
http://www.firedaemon.com, i also run srcdsfpsboost from Firedaemon.
- Remove IIS and other unneeded services: Control Panel | Add Remove
Programs | Add Remove Windows Components | uncheck everything except
"Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Config" and "Update Root Certs"
- Set a fixed paging file size, typically 2x your physical ram size.
You can spread it over multiple physical disks for better performance.
- Stop unneeded services: A good site for reference:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles_tutorials/windows_2003_security/
- Rename the Administrator user to another name.
- Remove everything from Network services except TCP/IP: Right click
on "My Network Places" | Choose "Properties" | Right click on "Local
Area Connection" and select "Properties".  Uncheck all the boxes
except "Internet Protocol".

Make sure you have a DNS resolver configured so your BF2 servers don't crash :-)

I don't have any R2 servers, so i'm not sure any caveats about it.
That's all i have right now, i'm sure others will provide input.

Regards,
--Rob