server hardware question

Brigham Stevens brs at vikingmind.com
Sat Mar 4 14:53:14 EST 2006

hi list! So quiet on here lately.  I have had no traffic since Feb 18?

I'm investigating putting my own server together and hosting in a colo
facility versus renting a dedicated unranked server from a GSP.  They
offer 1GB bandwidth per month.... So I'm pretty sure I will need to buy
some more bulk bandwith - any ballpark on how much bandwidth (per month)
a 64 player server uses if say it is only full %50 of the time? Gee it
would be spiffy if someone had a BF2 bandwidth calculator web page!

So I'm hoping someone on this list can offer a little advice:

Is dual proc better than a single proc with dual core?

For example, Intel Xeon (Dual mPGA604 ZIF Sockets) vs dual core Pentium
D (LGA 775 Socket)?

(Dual mPGA604 ZIF) Sockets dual Xeon (3Ghz)                $275 *
2
(LGA 775 Socket) dual core Pentium D  (3Ghz)               $272 * 1
(Socket 939) dual core AMD Opteron 165 Denmark (1.8Ghz)    $298* 1
(bundled/sale)(this one is easy to overclock...)

I know the BF2 server is basically single threaded, but since I'm buying
the server I want either dual core or 2 cpus so I can do other stuff
with it, and hopefully it will be more useful for at least 2 years.

So basically I'm trying to put a 1U rig together using newegg with a
budget of 1,500 - 2,000 max, starting with one of their 1 U Bare bones
servers.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have!

--brigham

http://dev.vikingmind.com/c4punish/
http://www.unholyplayground.com/