[bf1942] BF2 RCON protocol

Andreas Fredriksson deplinenoise at gmail.com
Thu May 5 08:50:10 EDT 2005

On 5/5/05, David Harrison <trogspam at games.telstra.com> wrote:

> From a stats perspective I must confess though that I would prefer TCP
> logging as opposed to UDP logging - I find that with UDP logging with
> large numbers of servers I tend to see a lot of drop packets, which mean
> log lines going astray. This can mess up database consistency a little
> bit (for example, if it misses the "player has joined server" line and
> then all of a sudden that player has other records, such as he's
> killing/getting killed).
>
> I appreciate that the resource requirements might be a bit higher to
> maintain the connection, but (for me at least) I'd probably prefer it.
>
> Even better, an option for either would be awesome :)

You can have both with BF2. The python admin support allows you to
write custom handlers for a lot of events and you can maintain sockets
or file connections as you please. This would take all of two hours
for an experienced python programmer, including basic tests.

I opted for this design because one of the most common requests for
functionality in 1942 was the ability to change the log format and
hook in extra functionality. Now you get to do the formatting and
sending yourself :-)

// Andreas