[bf1942] BF Conversion - Project AutoMap

Flakstar flakstar at ltk-clan.net
Wed Jun 29 11:38:41 EDT 2005

Dave Snodgrass wrote:

>We've asked. I dont think anyone it dice sees the logic.
>
>Here's the comment from dice CTO:
>
>"I think the main problem here is that the maps are generally just too
>large to easily download on demand. While it would be possible to
>conjure up some sort of BitTorrent-like downloading scheme, it's far
>from trivial to implement in a reliable way.
>
>Some other games do have auto-download but in my experience it's of
>little use due to the way it's typically implemented. In a game such
>as RTWC:ET I generally hit ESC as soon as a map download screen shows
>up simply because it's boring to sit there and wait for 10 minutes for
>it to finish. If I'm playing I want to play, not stare at a progress
>bar. "
>

>On 6/28/05, Atomm Nihilo - Gamers Radio <atomm at gamersradio.com> wrote:
>

>>Andreas,
>>
>> Thank you for your help. Your answers have been very helpful.
>>
>> This alone was a very important piece of information.

>>>No. IIRC the client doesn't load the Python interpreter, it is only
>>>there to support modifications to the server and game logic.
>>>
>>>// Andreas
>>>
>>>--
>>>And I hate redundancy, and having different functions for the same thing.
>>>        - Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel
>>>

>>--
>>Atomm Nihilo
>>Head Lunatic
>>GamersRadio.com

I don´t know what connection type he has got, 33.6 baud modem *rofl*. I
never hitted the esc button in RtWC:ET, when i downloaded a new map and
it just took max up to 5min. It´s a question, if you´ve got a good or
stupid game server admin. A good one redirects the request to the clan
webserver and no bandwith of the game server is wasted and u can
download the map with the max of ur i-net connection speed. If u have to
download the map from the game server, okay then i hit esc, too, because
this is wasting of time, i can download it faster from the webpage and
join the game then. But a redirection to another server for downloading
missing files is a "must have". In ET e.g. the ETPro versions can be
easily updated with these functions and u don´t have to quit the game,
surf to the webpage download it, install the stuff. And this is a big
point, if BF2 would start like ET, no problem, but BF2 needs years to
start up (Connection to Account Server,vertification of the game files),
it takes up to some minutes before you can start playing and this
procedure again, because only some little files are missing, no thanks.

What he has with bittorrent styled download tools/function, i don´t
know, makes no logic sense for me.

But don´t thing about that kind of stuff right now, concentrate all men
power on the testing/bugfixing of the performance, network code and so
on, that we can enjoy a lagfree gaming with no ctd and stable servers. ^^