[bf1942] We REALLY need the BF2 Python API

"Einar S. Idsø" esi at itk.ntnu.no
Sat Jun 25 10:59:13 EDT 2005

Panic wrote:
> ANYTHING is better than nothing. Scans of notes scribbled
> on napkins are better than nothing. So "someone" (yeah,
> Andreas, I'm talking to you...hehe) PLEASE help us out here.

I completely agree. Debugging our code and figuring out how things
really function is a lot of hard work at the moment. I can see why Dice
and/or EA wouldn't want to release an API documentation that isn't 100%
correct and typed up in a professional manner, but seriously: Even
scanned handwritten notes about the API would be most heartily welcome
at this point! We would of course realise that the documentation isn't
100% correct, and that would be okay with us since it would in any case
be so much better than what we have now (i.e. nothing) :)

I think it would not only be beneficial to us server maintainers and
coders, but it would also gain Dice/EA. For instance, take the case of
kicking players for high ping. Many people are complaining about
foreigners with very high pings on our servers. We are therefore
currently writing a script to kick high-pingers. Making such a script
would greatly improve the players' satisfaction with our servers, but it
is really hard to do since we don't have any kind of documentation. The
Python interface seems to be really nice, and it will enable us to
administer the servers very well, thus causing players to thrive and EA
to make money - if we just had some docs to simplify the coding process!

So please please please: Dig out your handwritten notes, your LaTeX
files, your Word documents, whatever you have, whatever language they're
written in, however bad your handwriting is, and make them available to
us! We PROMISE we won't make a fuss if they're not 100% up to date since
they will be so enormously helpful anyways :)

Einar