[bf1942] Reserved slots?

Forrest Thiessen thiessen at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 23 15:21:28 EDT 2005

I did a quick binary search through the game executables, looking both
for strings like "pass", and for known parameters for ss_getParam, like
"ticketRatio".  No luck, sorry!

You might still be able to do it by using an external program, though. .
. This is all just off the top of my head, but how about:

- When the conditions occur that make you want to turn a password on or
off, you set a flag somewhere.
- You hook a handler into the EndRound event; when it fires at the end
of a round, you check your flag; if it says that the password state
should be changed, it launches an external program.
- The external program, which could even be a shell script, externally
sends the necessary rcon commands to BF2 to cause it to stop, change the
password, and restart. Because it's only called at the end of a round,
this shouldn't interfere with players, other than requiring them to
enter a password if a password is being added.

I haven't tried doing a fast server stop/start on BF2 yet, but on BF1942
and BFV you could do a stop and start and the end of round, before the
next map started loading (so that you could change the map rotation, for
example), and as long as you were reasonably quick about it, the players
would never even notice that the server had stopped.

Just an idea!

--Forrest