[bf1942] Reserved slots?

James Gurney james at globalmegacorp.org
Wed Jun 22 13:41:43 EDT 2005

On 6/22/2005 10:35 AM, Anton Jansen wrote:
> James Gurney wrote:
>
>> Good thinking batman. I'll get our crack team of Python wizards on the
>> case.
>

> An even better solution^TM, would be to have one spot always free on the
> server. When somebody connects and uses that slot, you verify wheter his
> GUID is on your reservered player slot list. If this is the case, you
> kick someone from the server who hasn't got a matching GUID.

Actually, this was the first idea we came up with, which we ditched on
the basis that it sucks to be kicking people from the server for no
apparent reason. How do you determine who to kick? How do you stop that
slot from filling up in the first place? (Answer: you can't - you have
to have someone join, find out they're not a "reserved player" and then
kick them).

Setting the password seems like a less hostile solution from the
perspective of the end user. We're working on it now and hopefully will
have something to test shortly.

James