[bf1942] Another angle

Forrest Thiessen thiessen at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 16 16:07:32 EDT 2005

I've been thinking about taking that route: writing a simple proxy that
would sit between the server and the outside world, that would intercept
GameSpy status queries to the server and report back that unlocks are
off on the server, even if they are on (the time limit issue goes away
next week with the full server, I'm assuming).  That way GameSpy, EA, et
al would have no idea that the server had been, uh, "configured in a
manner not approved by the manufacturer".

I spent several hours playing the demo yesterday, though, and came to
the conclusion that the unlocked weapons are real yawners--I wasn't
doing any scientific experiments on them, but I really couldn't tell the
difference, or see any special advantage in them.  And things are
generally moving fast enough in the game that people don't have time to
stop and say "wow, what a cool looking weapon that guy has". . . so, I'm
not sure that I see going through the trouble of writing such a proxy to
be worth it.

The rankings, though, are a different manner.  I own a cybercafe where
our most popular game for the last two years has been Desert Combat; the
only other game that's come close has been Counter-Strike.  Most of the
reason for the popularity has been the game itself, but part of it has
been the availability of a local rankings system.  People really want to
be able to show off how good they are to their friends, and people will
play for hours to vie for top spots in the rankings.  I think people
will like the EA ranking system, but I think they would like a local
ranking system even more--in my experience, most people want to know
where they stand compared to people they know, not people on the other
side of the planet (or even the other side of the city) that they've
never met.

Given that, I'm sure it's possible to create a local ranking system that
meets this need (although it might be necessary to re-invent several
wheels first: see parallel discussion on this list about "BF2 Event
Logging"; is the apparent absence of an out-of-the-box logging facility
another plank in what appears to be an EA strategy to keep EA the only
ranking system available?) but if someone figures out how to "wire" such
a system into the game itself, a proxy like I described might still come
in handy.

Hmmm. . . (sound of thinking). . .

--Forrest