[bf1942] Ban email

Lee Latham leeprivate at cgmlarson.com
Wed Jun 15 12:36:24 EDT 2005

Actually, I gotta say, many clan servers are not the most pleasant playing
environments.  For that matter, just reading/hearing the running chatter on
many servers is asinine enough to turn off any newb gamer.

I think it might be constructive to consider what EA's goals are, which is
to get another Evercrack with a first person shooter.  They are trying to
construct a long term business model, and a few petulant cancelled orders
are of no consequence whatsoever.

What will matter is if players can't find any good server to connect
to.  The fact of the matter is that it IS possible for EA to monopolize the
server business.  It can be done.  If Google and Yahoo and Amazon.com can
function as well as they do, then EA can be the only game server provider
for their game.

The important thing is will people who go to Best Buy and buy the game get
a good online gaming experience.  In all candour, I must say that EA's
servers are about exactly as good as the average random server, and better
than most I have played on.  Lots of crappy servers out there.

Don't get me wrong--I find their behavior juvenile and offensive, but a lot
of the comments here are juvenile and petulant, and, if I may say so,
pointless.

I know I won't be running a server--I've always just done it for love--but
the proof is in the pudding.  If Joe Customer can't get a good server to
play on, EA will come crawling to this mailing list for help.  I'll let you
compute the odds of that happening.

Lee