[bf1942] Issues regarding "ranked servers"

Chris Adams chris at fragzzhost.com
Sun Jun 5 16:40:19 EDT 2005

> You sir, are an ass

You clearly have a different opinion to me, and if I go and check out
Bfstats, I will probably find out that yes, indeed, I am an ass. No need
for public flaming. I'm just here giving my opinion in a public forum
for discussion; I didn't realise that some people were quite so
passionate about this. My first comment in no way was meant to provoke a
response such as yours; I was expecting a 'pff' at most.

> EA knows this, and your in support of it becuase you are taking money
out of
> players pockets for this"

For us this is just another customer, albeit with many more concerns on
their part about security. We've been doing server management for three
years now for customers. With regards to EA's funding for this, it is
concerning, but I really don't think that profits from the North
American game servers can pay for it all, and surely they aren't going
to bump up the game price specifically for this? I'm guessing they'll be
marketing the ranking system heavily to draw more sales and end up
having to cut the publics off when the sales dry up.

> I would venture to say that at least 75% of us that host servers
started doin ti for the
> game, not for the money"

I would agree with you there. I think we started up so that we could
have clan servers, paid for by the profits from the customers' servers.

"And arent influenced by some money-toting asshole that is going to FUCK
the community that already pays thier bills"

Influenced? In a discussion on a mailing list? EA have made their
decision; that is definite. If you read my posts you will find that I
think in some circumstances, what they are planning to do will be
detrimental to the true BF2 community, but simultaneously, (assuming
that web-based ranking systems can continue to function, after your
comment about BFStats), things might actually turn out well for
gameplay. When a customer comes to us in this manner, we as a business
are unlikely to decline, especially when we believe that this may work
out well. What's better also is the possibility, depending upon
negotiations, that we would be able to offer ranked BF2 servers to
customers. This of course would be at sensible prices rather than the
ridiculous EA North American game rental prices, meaning that clans
would be able to rent ranked servers. I'd rather that we said yes than
the next host.

> You play this game more then anyone, you buy hosting services, and
such for your
> team

Me? You? One? I'm guessing one. As I say above, hopefully the web-based
rankings will be able to operate and also my idea about the types of
people that will go to ranked / unranked servers. If DICE/EA say yes,
then clans will be able to go ahead and rent managed game servers and
dedicated servers at sensible prices. I must admit though you guys are
screwed (for want of a better word) in North America.

I agree that EA operating all the publics there *is* bad for both the
community and for game hosts, even smelling slightly of monopoly.
Forcing one to buy an EA server if they want ranking is definitely not
right, and also subjecting everyone who wants to enjoy the ranking to
EA's previous record with regards to the management of public servers is
not really fair.

> ... FUCK you if you dont go with EA.
?

Chill.