[bf1942] Issues regarding "ranked servers"

Craig Fletcher craig at multiplay.co.uk
Sat Jun 4 09:08:02 EDT 2005

I really doubt you will see much of a financial consequence to EA.  This
game is set to be a massive hit regardless of the ranking system.  EA has
taken the attitude in the past that it can afford to annoy a minority in the
full knowledge that it's going to shift several hundred thousand units
regardless.  You can't please everyone after all :).

A classic example of this was during a "question time" style panel at a
conference, where the EA delegate was quizzed by a gamer in the audience as
to why they would not release another patch for Generals: Zero Hour to fix
all the bugs.  His response was along the lines of "how does that make me
money... the game has been and gone".  However, things are changing for the
better it seems.  Subsequently they did release a patch, albeit several
months later.  In the UK at least they seem to be trying to be a lot more
proactive in engaging the gaming community as a whole.

I'm not sure the whole ranked servers issue will be as big a deal as people
are making out in this thread.  There will be plenty of ranked and unranked
servers out there and I can understand their desire to keep the ranking
secure.  It's not ideal I agree, but I think it's the best we're going to
get at the outset.  Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Cheers,

Craig "Wizzo" Fletcher
Multiplay

Email: wizzo at multiplay.co.uk