[bf1942] HTML Posting sucks

Nicholas McGovern hydro at downclan.com
Tue Jul 19 12:17:36 EDT 2005

On Monday 18 Jul 2005 22:55, Steven Hartland wrote:
> [...]

As you contradict yourself later in the email, RFCs are not formal
standards even though many have become pseudo standards by widespread
adoption. Being old does not make it irrelevant. IP4, TCP, and SMTP are
all 'old' standards that were used to deliver your email, many of which
have been supposedly superseded.

> What is crap is adamant bottom posters which leave the entire contents
> of the mail and append a few words / lines forcing everyone to scroll
> though stuff they have just read anyway ( history / previous mail ).

Excessive over-quoting for top or bottom posting is something I think
that both camps can agree on.

> The same goes for HTML, if you dont have a email client
> which can deal with this yet ur living in the 70's get a life.
> Yes for 98% of mailing list posts text is perfectly good, but
> there are a few cases where the formatting capabilities
> provided by HTML mail simply cannot be denied.

I think this is where people get confused. Email was always intended as
a communication medium. People now want to add presentation to this.
What pertinent formatting capabilities does HTML have over plain text?
If formatting and presentation is your primary concern, send someone a
PDF email. It's an open standard with formatting capabilities that far
outweight HTML.

As for living in the 70's, as another poster highlighted, not everyone
uses a GUI MUA. If I followed your logic, I'd declare PostScript email
to be the new email standard and rightfully proclaim that all Outlook
users are living in the 90's as their email client cannot handle this
format natively. You're confusing unilateralism for progression.

> N.B. RFC = Request For Comment not Regulation and in
> the case of strict bottom posting the result is: thanks but no
> thanks.

Of course. Perhaps I should start posting emails contained in KWord
format? But then few people would read my messages and that's the
point. It's not about adhering to a standard. It's about adhering to a
convention that is readable which, after all, is the whole point of
email - communication.