[bf1942] Hotfix release time upgraded from 'soon' to 'not far off'

David Stevens dave at netdefense.ca
Fri Jul 15 11:07:23 EDT 2005

Whenever I deal with software developers, I ask them how long it will take,
double that number, add 10% and tell that to the customer.   It is usually
pretty close to bang-on.

As far as being vague, and being precise, with a monolith like EA, its very
difficult to wrap everything together to give a precise date, and that's why
the give the vague ones. It's a lot simpler than making a promise, and
having the community rant and rave when they fail to meet it.

Dave's #1 rule- NEVER overpromise, and underdeliver.  Nothing pisses off
people more (in my books)

This is EA's basic malfunction, as much as they try to step around it, the
give us a promise ("This software has been qa'd for 2 weeks, and is ready to
go") and then fail on it.

It only makes it worse when they promise "soon."   As to me, "Soon" is
within 1 -3 days (when we are talking a patch, If I was diagnosed with
cancer, and was going to die "soon" that would be 6 months)

Well, enough of my ranting, as much as we whine and complain, they won't do
anything about it.   I will just go to EBgames, and try and return my copy.

Dave