[bf1942] Attracting Players

Joe sechon at blackmud.com
Fri Jul 1 13:23:24 EDT 2005

You're overlooking the stats part..One of the big features folks like is
being able to compare their rank to others' (BFHQ and the projects polling
stats from it), and looking at their detailed player stats. Once the stat
trackers are online and word of mouth spreads, the global ranking system
won't be so hot. Sure, the unlocks legally can't be included, but as you
pretty much implied - The rate of unlocking them is so slow as it is. Most
folks will burn out on that fast..

I really do think we'll continue to see the flocking to ranked for another
month probably, but beyond that the unranked servers will start getting
attention again.

Any mod team throwing away bf2 over this is useless anyway. Sure, there's
delays on it, but any mod that can not make good use of this time and pass
the blame to ea (as it should be) probably is not worth playing. What engine
will they go to? Source? Ha...

My point is that this is just the 'new and hot' fad phase..It will wear off
I'm sure. We run a ranked and unranked, and I personally would rather see
the unranked packed 24/7 but the reality is not that. Our cost for being
ranked is not an issue at all, the issue is the restrictions put onto it
(which actually aren't all that bad thus far). The unranked would be a lot
more "cool" because I could put local stats, maybe a custom unlock mod
(custom weapons for unlocks), better administration tools, pb config access,
pbss download access, etc, but maybe EA and their partners will even bend to
some those wishes eventually, taking away what unranked's potentially have
going for them...Time will tell.