[bf1942] BF2 server discussion

Christopher Kunz chrislist at de-punkt.de
Thu Sep 30 17:00:26 EDT 2004

Michael Ressen wrote:
> #2 should be just fine, and I don't think there's a legal prob there since the
> objects are already in distribution.

Well, there actually are legal problems. Linking to libstdc++ is allowed
for non-GPL applications (I think), but bundling with libstdc++ (or any
other GPLed library, for that matter) is only allowed for GPLed
applications due to the virality of the GPL license.

This has led to numerous problems in other applications that were
already Open Source, but not GPL software, as in PHP versus MySQL (the
MySQL client library is GPL, PHP is not -> severe bundling problems) et al.

AFAIR, that has emerged for the BF1942 linux server too, and I don't
recall how it was solved.

Personally, I'm fine with option #1, since most gameservers already use
a fairly new version of libstdc++.

Regards,

--ck