[bf1942] Crazy CPU use with SMP kernels

Stefan Engbersen stonex at freebsd.nl
Thu May 6 07:34:55 EDT 2004

Our server is running at "2.6.1-1.149smp #1 SMP Tue Jan 27 15:44:27 EST
2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux"
Which was a fedora rpm, so probably had most of it turned on.. We had
strange lags and connection problems when
we used 2.4 on the very same box, when we updated to 2.6 this was
vanished, also the load is 0% when empty.

We are also running a BF:V server on a different box, still running a
2.4 kernel (smp) and experiencing the same thing, when
the player amount goes above 10 players, it lags as hell. The connection
is good (100mbit fullduplex on a 1+gbit backbone).

Both system are dual Xeon 2.6Ghz with 2 or 3 GB's of RAM, also HT btw :)

We are updating the BF:V server tomorrow to 2.6.5 and see what happens then.

Stefan Engbersen
freebsd.nl / nlfug.nl