[bf1942] bf1942 max # players question

James Gurney james at globalmegacorp.org
Mon Mar 15 17:52:03 EST 2004

Brigham Stevens wrote:

> greetings fellow linux game admins...
>
> My server is:
>
> RedHat 7.3
> 2.4 Ghz P4 cpu
> 1GB RAM (PC2100 speed)
> 60 GB hd
> 5MBPS sustained bandwidth
> BF1942 1.6 linux dedicated RC2 release
>
> It used to have 512MB ram and 1.7Ghz cpu... It could handle exactly 30 players
> and use 85% of CPU or so, with spike up to the 95%+ mark...

That does sound odd. My server is an Athlon 2600, and 36 players on the
DC server take about 35% cpu peaking at 50% or so. I would expect you
could get a lot more out of a P4 2.4 than you are. One question - do you
have a decent network card? If not, the network traffic could be
increasing cpu load. It's worthwhile investing in a decent card like an
Intel.

My biggest problem with increasing max players is that it seems to
exponentially decrease server stability. At 32 players (basically full
24/7), we crashed maybed twice a day. At 36, we crash 4 or 5 times a
day. At 40 players, we crash anywhere up to 10 times a day. I'm talking
core dump type crashes here, btw. I'd be curious to know if other people
see similar behaviour..

James