One positive note in the midst of the arguments (Custom Games)...

Neal Clayton xayd at vae-victus.org
Sat Mar 13 21:32:53 EST 2004

I'm not one to praise game companies very often, especially coming to BF
from Quake/UT which were games that were much more polished competition
wise at release than BF1942 was, but I've been reading up on what's
possible with the "custom battles" settings in this initial release of
BF Vietnam and am very impressed.

One of my biggest complaints about the original BF1942 in a competitive
sense was how certain maps were bad for competitve play because of too
many vehicles for smaller numbers of players, or different vehicles on
each side that were imbalanced against each other, or the inability to
remove/replace vehicles easily for specialized competitions like 5v5
infantry only or 2v2 tanks only, etc.  With this functionality that's no
longer a valid argument, you guys have given us more functionality even
than even Quake and UT did, with the ability to modify weapons, classes,
and vehicles for each specific map we play.

So please pass some praise up to those who made these design decisions
with this server from the competitive crowd, you guys did a good job
with the custom settings that are available in this game for server
admins and league admins.

One question though, perhaps people who have tried running a server can
answer this:

How are these settings maintained?  Per map config file?  One big config
file?  Thrown into serversettings.con or some such with everything else?