[bf1942] Optimized binaries

Lee Latham leeprivate at cgmlarson.com
Wed Jan 21 10:21:17 EST 2004

I know there's lots of new features being added, but frankly I think the
stability issues are a higher priority.  It still crashes regularly in
direct proportion to the number of players on the server and the number map
changes.

It certainly has come a long long way, though!

At 07:53 PM 1/20/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 19:50, Andrew A. Chen wrote:
> > Would it be possible to get two sets of binaries in the next release?
> > Idealy, one set with Athlon optimizations enabled and another with i686
> > optimizations?  Or better yet, if you have access to the Intel compiler,
> > that would be superb.  :)  Thanks.
>
>ICC only does C++, doesn't it?  Is the server written in C++?
>
>Some CPU-specific optimizations might be nice... but I'd be willing to
>wager they're already there... nobody is running the server on <=i586
>hardware.  Overly optimizing software tends to introduce bugs, as well.
>I understand the server, as it stands today, is great among gaming
>servers as far as stability is concerned, but compared to traditional
>servers, is still fairly unstable... seg faulting every now and then...
>optimizations are only going to make that more common.  :-\
>
>Optimizations are great for increasing speed, just be aware they can
>also introduce stability issues.
>
>Rob

Lee M. Latham
Vice Field Marshall Admiral Imperator Generalissimo of Sales and Support
(muy importante)
+1 (713) 977-4177 x.103
lee at cgmlarson.com