[bf1942] BF: Vietnam - BFCC to be bundled with it (OT)

Neal Clayton xayd at vae-victus.org
Fri Feb 27 13:23:28 EST 2004

Indeed both are poorly designed.

Regardless, the engine for BF:V is the same so one could assume that the
server settings and commands will be very similar.  There are existing
projects out there to work from if someone else decides to develop a
third party app for server management though.

Either way, the reason that there's a lack of tools to properly admin
servers isn't entirely the fault of EA and Dice, it's only half their
fault.  It's half their fault for providing poor documentation about the
server and engine so that people can write these apps, and it's half the
fault of users for supporting closed source and/or  commercial apps
instead of getting together and working on alternatives.

Personally I'm content to start and stop my server via usermin and do
the rest by command line, but if people want better then they need to
stop using closed source and commercial apps and get to work on
providing an alternative.  Look at Gastar's web-based tool, it had all
the functionality for day to day use that one would need, but is sitting
on sourceforge un-usable because it was never updated for 1.6.  No one
pays any attention to it because there's no support forum to get someone
to hold your hand while you set it up, and no one to pay for using it.

I dunno.  Maybe I'm spoiled from coming to this game from UT.  When
there was a need for a mod or mutator to fix something or provide some
extra functionality in an Unreal game people in the community got
together and worked on it.  When there's a need for something in BF1942
people complain about it and do nothing, while continuing to work on
their own little conversion mod that no one will ever play anyways...