[bf1942] BF: Vietnam - BFCC to be bundled with it (OT)

Rick Thompson fortweb at fortweb.com
Thu Feb 26 21:35:30 EST 2004

I think I misunderstood the original post. Since Dice paid Kevin for the
1.6 compat version I guess I assumed that 1. they had some control of the
software and 2. "replace" meant kill the BBO app. That may seem like a
strange concept but if you run HL servers, your used to the game developer
screwing you over.

EA/DICE are good people, trust me... you could have it a lot, lot worse!
Their releases are as clean as can be expected from complex software, they
usually on time with announcement dates and they do indeed listen to their
userbase. You have PB and a lot of the features in 1.6 because they *do*
listen to their userbase and respond to the concerns of serverops.

Looking at the nix server readme for BBO I see the software is clearly in
Kevin's capable hands so if it is ditched, it will be his doing and not the
game developers. This brings up another aspect though, are we demanding
that EA/DICE foot the bill for him to update the software we use free?

Don't get me wrong, without BBO or a closely similar app we would not rent
servers and a thousand gb of bandwidth would go to waste each month.
However, if it's a money thing, Kevin should be charging us for the app and
not strong-arming EA/DICE through pressure from its userbase to buck up. I
don't know if that's it at all, maybe I am way off base but it kind of
looks that way. Software developers have to eat too, I understand that. Put
a price tag on it and people will buy if it is reasonable. Expecting the
game developer to pay for software they don't control is unreasonable.

Rick

Sincerely,
Rick Thompson

Network Admin - Fortweb.com