[bf1942] [OT] Do you also become that?

James Gurney james at globalmegacorp.org
Thu Feb 26 18:00:13 EST 2004

Brigham Stevens wrote:

> yes it is really annoying.. does this person realize they are asking hundreds
> of people to register with that site? That is really super annoying. Oh boy,
> here comes another message from 0Spam, the super spammers.

This is the reason these challenge/response spam solutions cause more
problems than they solve. I'm no expert, but I keep a close eye on my
spam level, blocked using a combination of spamcop and spam assassin.
The volume of spam is rising at a rate of about 2% a week. Last week,
40% of the mail coming through my server was identified as spam. This
increase, combined with stupid spam "solutions", are slowly making email
less and less usable. It's almost impossible to send anyone a zip file
these days thanks to the proliferation of worm/virus emails.. I reckon
that in a year or two, email is going to be completely useless as a
medium, and we'll have to come up with something else to replace it,
which may be no bad thing.. ho hum..

James