[bf1942] Map change process leak with 1.6rc2

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 15:01:55 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "AthlonRob" <AthlonRob at axpr.net>

> Good luck with that....

No luck needed I have total faith in Andreas and his team they have
done us prowd in the past and I dont antisipate this will change :)

> Again, I don't know exactly how to do this under Windows, but doing that
> under Linux is all fairly straightforward.  Many GNU utilities have been
> ported over to Windows, mostly via CYGWIN...
>
> Netstat tells you what processes are bound to what ports.  ps can tell
> you what command lines what processes are using.  cut and grep solve a
> few more problems.  I don't see the lack of reliability in there... then
> again, with the lack of command line utilites available for Windows...
> maybe the CYGWIN tools just won't work for you?

I know the tools as we do infact run them as I said our script is a little
more than the basic script I originally posted. Which does include
monitoring process by tree hyerarchy but this is not possible
in this case due to the way the new process is created, it becomes
ppid = 0. cygwin ps etc dont report win32 processes so thats not
an option and there is no netstat for cygwin :(
Belive me if I could come up with a 100% workaround I would
but I dont believe its possible without some really nasty process
monitor hacking as none of the standard tools i.e. cygwin ps or
sysinternals pslist are capable of providing the information required.

> It wasn't meant to much as a Linux vs Win32 argument.  I think we can
> all agree at the very least Windows eats many more CPU cycles than Linux
> when you're talking about dedicated servers, if for no other reason than
> because it requires the big GUI.

Trust me I would love to be able to run all our servers on linux, FreeBSD
infact as linux is very bleading edge and has a number of SMP issues. But
being a hosting company that support multiple games on multiple platforms
some of our customers either insist/prefer/require win32 and we do our
best to provide.

> I can't imagine if you were terribly concerned about grep'ing for a few
> PIDs eating CPU cycles that you would *not* be concerned about the load
> the GUI puts on your CPU is all.

Although greping is very low CPU load everything adds up but in this
case is a none option from what I can see so not really an issue.

Thanks for feedback though always useful to have peps run over the
possibilities just in case you've missed them :)

    Steve / K