[bf1942] OT Protection

g8 at the.whole.net g8 at the.whole.net
Wed Feb 4 13:15:56 EST 2004

Mailscanner is good, as is MIMEDefang (my friend at sendmail recommends
mdf for most situations).  Of course I recommend looking at more secure,
alternate MTAs such as Postfix, qmail, or exim.  I personally use Postfix
(aka IBM Secure Mailer) and a one line regex blocked the virii before
they even got to the DATA stage (thus saving bandwidth at the server).
If you want quarantine and such there are great packages like amavis-new
filtering via clamav (and spamassassin) which integrate very well.  Some
links for the interested:

http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/mimedefang/  (assuming you want to
stay with sendmail)
http://www.postfix.org/  (a choice MTA upgrade path from sendmail)
http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/  (check the how-to section, some great
tutorials on easily setting up everything)

-g8