[bf1942] PLease help, i am dead in the water

Brigham Stevens brs at vikingmind.com
Sat Dec 4 14:50:54 EST 2004

What is the best way to check for bad ram? I have no physical access to
the box, it is in canada and I'm not.... I am asking the provider to
verify the hardware is working, and they said that cat /proc/meminfo
everything looks great - but I'm not sure that is the same as testing
the RAM?

Here is a look at the meminfo:

$ cat /proc/meminfo
        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  1022844928 647127040 375717888        0 150835200 413036544
Swap: 2097434624        0 2097434624
MemTotal:       998872 kB
MemFree:        366912 kB
MemShared:           0 kB
Buffers:        147300 kB
Cached:         403356 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         488588 kB
Inact_dirty:     81376 kB
Inact_clean:     31920 kB
Inact_target:   120376 kB
HighTotal:       98240 kB
HighFree:          768 kB
LowTotal:       900632 kB
LowFree:        366144 kB
SwapTotal:     2048276 kB
SwapFree:      2048276 kB
Committed_AS:   170980 kB

Here are the disk volumes:
df -k
/dev/hda3              6048352    995240   4745872  18% /
/dev/hda1                77750      9032     64704  13% /boot
/dev/hda7             41484272  29165952  10210996  75% /home
none                    499436         0    499436   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda5              3028080   1032812   1841448  36% /var
/dev/hda6              5044156     64120   4723804   2% /var/lib/mysql
[bfd at server1 mon]$