[bf1942] windows vs linux

Reno Romanin reno at hardcoretek.com
Sun Oct 19 12:44:06 EDT 2003

A bit off topic, but

Just wanted to say, that was the most informative post i have seen to a
mailing list in a long time... congrats :)

I use linux for all of my servers, and i run 1 16 player cs
2 20 player tfc
1 18 player bf1942
i 16 player DOD server...

all on one box, with an athlon 2100+ and 1GB ram.

They aren't usually all full at the same time, but i get good performance
out of them all, and execellent stablility.

The part about realtek cards... yes, those cards don't have the driver
refinement of some of the bigger vendors.

Go with intel cards, the best i've used yet.
The cheaper cards i've used have caused ping spikes galore. I don't know if
this is because of queing, lack of ram on the cards or what, but it comes at
regular intervals with the cheap cards.

Yes, linux is free, and wonderful, but you have to have the hardware to back
it up. (read, quality hardware, not necessarily cutting edge)

Thats all from me...

--reno