[bf1942] An Open Letter to the BF1942 Community

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Tue Oct 14 15:59:20 EDT 2003

--On Tuesday, October 14, 2003 6:47 PM +0100 cameron
<cameron at aberdeenlanparty.co.uk> wrote:

> Why wasn't this need foreseen by the
> games developer? This isn't a new thing, Unreal Tournament and Unreal
> Tournament 2003 both came with a web based remote manager. It seems to me
> that any time a new game is released we have to scrimp and scrape enough
> information to run a server.

Absolutely!

As a Tribes 2 admin, I'm among a crowd that's holding Sierra's feet to the
fire for server support in the 2004 release of Tribes: Vengeance, and word is
that it will be based on the UT engine and have similar server
characteristics. I figure I'll bring up a UT server just to see how well that
works.

It amazes me that info needed to run a server isn't deployed in advance to get
some feedback from admins on how to structure this stuff. It's like every new
game house has no one on staff with experience at running a server, and just
tosses it together as an afterthought.